Posted by Rebecca King on 05.02.2012
Welcome to the second installment of TENDUS’ new series “Cooking For Dancers,” a series of posts that aim to bring my readers healthy, balanced meals to fuel a dancer’s body. I plan to bring you my food experiments that are not only healthy, but taste like they’re not!
Recipe two brings you my spin on my favorite Italian dish, Risotto: Roasted Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Risotto with Grilled Shrimp. Oven roasting the tomatoes takes about 5 hours, so I like to make this meal on my day off. I often roast a double recipe and freeze the tomatoes with a little olive oil, to use in pastas or other dishes; you can really use them in anything! Roasting the tomatoes makes them sweeter and more flavorful, similar to sun-roasting, but much more accessible.
Servings: 4 Calories: 430 Fiber: 2g Protein: 15g
1 pound vine ripe tomatoes
1 cup arborio rice
14-16 medium shrimp
2 cup chicken stock
1 cup white cooking wine
1 small yellow onion
6 garlic cloves
1/8 cup fresh basil
1/8 cup fresh mozzarella
1tsp red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Reduced balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
Parsley to garnish
Active cooking time: 30 minutes
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees. Slice vine tomatoes and place on a cookie sheet without overlapping slices. Distribute peeled garlic cloves among the tomato slices. Drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle with red pepper flakes to taste. Always use slightly less than you think, in order to avoid making the dish too spicy. Place in the oven for about 5 hours until the tomatoes appear dried. Flip the slices midway. Roughly chop the tomatoes and place in a bowl. Chop the garlic and set aside. Tomatoes and garlic can be prepared ahead of time.
2. In a sauce pan, warm one tablespoon of EVOO over high heat. Sauté chopped yellow onion until transparent, about 3 minutes. Add arborio rice and stir until every grain is coated in oil. Add white wine and reduce heat to medium low. Season with Salt and Pepper. Stir in chopped garlic and cover.
3. Once the rice has absorbed the wine, stir in roasted tomatoes.
4. Continuously stir, adding the chicken stock as the rice absorbs the liquid.
5. While the rice is cooking, prepare the basil and mozzarella. To cut the basil, stack leaves and roll tightly. Chop across the roll and continue all the way to the top. This will create long strips of basil. Cut the Mozzarella into half-inch pieces and set aside.
6. The shrimp will be cooked separate from the Risotto, either on the grill or the stove. Season with EVOO and paprika for color. Cook for about 5-7 mins depending on size.
7. Moments before serving, stir the mozzarella into the rice, allowing it to melt. Stir in basil once the mozzarella is incorporated.
Place Risotto in a shallow bowl and drizzle with reduced balsamic vinegar. Place 3-4 shrimp on top and garnish with parsley. For a real treat, pair with a Paraduxx Napa Valley Red wine and enjoy!
For more Cooking For Dancers dishes, click here.